Adolescence is the time between childhood and young adulthood. Adolescence involves several changes in biological, social, cognitive, and psychological health and development. These changes are not always easy for those going through them.
If you have an adolescent child, an adolescent doctor can be highly beneficial for them. An adolescent doctor has experience diagnosing, treating, and preventing health issues in young adults. While any pediatrician can provide this service, an experienced provider who specializes in working with this age group can help foster a better experience for your child.
Let’s look at the many benefits of having an adolescent doctor for your child.
Education, Preparation, and Resources
During adolescence, boys and girls experience a lot of changes in their bodies. If they are not educated about their bodies and the changes they can expect, they may feel insecure, scared, worried, or unprepared. It is very important that as adolescents go through this stage of life, they have the information and resources they need to be mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared.
Seeing an adolescent doctor is the perfect way to prepare your adolescent for the road of growth and development ahead. They can learn about their body from an expert, ask questions they may not be comfortable discussing with parents, and get the resources and medical help they need to thrive during this phase of life.
What Resources Can An Adolescent Doctor Provide?
An adolescent doctor can help your child in many ways. Here are some examples:
- General Health – Adolescents get sick and injured like people of any other age group. Adolescent doctors can provide sports physicals, immunizations, and lab testing similar to any pediatrician. Having a doctor they are friendly with and can speak to openly will make the experience better for them.
- Menstrual Cycle – Many women express they felt unprepared for their first periods. The best way to avoid this happening to your daughter is by taking her to an adolescent doctor early on. She can learn what to expect, what’s considered normal and abnormal, and how to best take care of herself during her period.
- Contraception – As adolescents reach their teenage years, they are likely to explore their sexuality and get into romantic relationships. It is important to prepare young teens by educating them about sex and contraception, so they can be safe and make the right decisions for themselves.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)–It is extremely important for adolescents and teens to learn about STDs, so they understand how to protect themselves.
- Body Development and Positivity – As adolescents develop, it is common for them to feel insecure about their bodies. Seeing a doctor can help, because they can discuss any issues they are experiencing and ask about what’s normal and abnormal in their development.
- Hormone Balance – Many people have hormone imbalance issues, which can start as early as adolescence. For instance, hormone imbalance in women can cause many symptoms, such as irregular or a lack of periods, facial hair growth, acne, and more. Seeing an adolescent doctor can help such issues be diagnosed and treated quickly.
Adolescent Doctor in Purchase, New York
At BridgeSpan Medicine, we value the importance of establishing positive, transparent relationships between adolescents and their medical providers. We love working with adolescents and educating them on growth and development, as well as how best to take care of themselves.
If you are interested in learning more about our adolescent medical care services, schedule an appointment to speak with our providers. Call (914) 698-5544 to schedule an appointment, or request one online. We look forward to helping you soon!