When it comes to the health of your adolescent child, only the best-specialized care will do. Although you can take your child to a regular family doctor, it is a pediatrician who is often best suited to attend to your child’s healthcare needs.
Not only are pediatricians specially trained in diagnosing and treating childhood illnesses and diseases, but they also stay up to date on the latest issues affecting adolescents (ages 10 through 19) and tend to have more specialized knowledge than a regular doctor, including three years of additional training in pediatrics after medical school to earn board certification.
Let’s take a closer look at the significant role a pediatrician can play in the health and wellbeing of your adolescent child.
How Your Child Benefits From Pediatric Care
With their specialized training, a board-certified pediatrician is qualified to provide more than just annual or school- or sports-required physical examinations. They can also:
- Administer necessary vaccinations and immunizations
- Monitor your child’s behavior and growth milestones
- Diagnose and treat a wide variety of illnesses, injuries, infections, and conditions
- Educate you about proper nutrition and your child’s fitness needs
- Answer any questions you may have regarding your child’s growth and development
In addition, pediatricians that serve as adolescent medicine specialists have extra training in the medical and emotional issues that many teenage patients face, such as their reproductive health, drugs, eating disorders, peer pressure, irregular periods, mood changes, questions about sexual identity, and problems they are dealing with at home or school.
As such, your adolescent child should visit a pediatrician at least once a year until they reach adulthood. By seeing the same adolescent-friendly doctor at each visit, your child will grow to trust their pediatrician and be more comfortable and open about discussing and learning about their health.
Pediatrician Near You in Purchase, New York
At BridgeSpan Medicine, our highly skilled and experienced team of board-certified adolescent medicine specialists offers the best care specifically for the unique needs of teens and young adults age 15 to 21. Our physicians understand that medical and emotional care for adolescents is different than it is for young children or adults and that it is just as important.
Besides adolescent medical care that includes routine examinations, sick visits, sports physicals, immunizations, and ear wax removal, our team offers a wide range of services that include:
- Sexual wellness – Our services include STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing, contraception, LGBTQIA support, and transgender medicine.
- Chronic and acute respiratory care for a wide range of issues.
- Mental health services in the form of customized counseling services.
- Wound care services that provide prompt and proper medical care to prevent infection and scarring, and promote healing.
The friendly staff at BridgeSpan Medicine welcomes new patients to our practice, where they can receive the highest quality care in a comfortable environment. If you have any questions about our adolescent and young adult medical services, please call our office.
To book an appointment for your child, simply use our convenient and secure online appointment form or call our office today. We look forward to serving you!