Studies show that visits to primary health care providers decline through the teen years for both boys and girls. The National Research Council reports that 70 percent of adolescent morbidity (illness) and mortality (death) results from behaviors and lifestyle elements that can be prevented or managed if recognized by highly trained and acutely aware health care providers. Let’s talk about what services are available for teens and young adults and where you can go in NY for comprehensive care.
Prevention: Key to Adolescent Medicine in Purchase, NY
While care for acute and chronic health conditions forms the mainstay of any health care practice, prevention is key to exceptional adolescent medicine.
In fact, teens and young adults alike have preventive medical needs very different from their parents. Your adolescent medicine doctor in Purchase, NY, focuses on the following aspects of health care:
- Sexual and reproductive health and education
- Mental health, including depression and anxiety
- Substance abuse education
- Identification of and education about risky behaviors, including reckless driving, drinking, alcohol and substance abuse, smoking, poor nutrition, weight issues, and sedentary lifestyles
Furthermore, adolescent medicine care plans are developed according to individual physical and psychosocial needs as discovered through physical examination and lab tests.
Other Factors Important to Adolescent Healthcare
The World Health Organization (WHO) states that the most effective health care for the teen and young adult population across the globe must focus on prevention and an open, honest, and confidential communication between the provider and patient.
Additionally, ethnic, cultural, and income disparities must be minimized as much as possible.
Medical Services Provided by Your Adolescent Medicine Doctor in Purchase, NY
Your adolescent medicine doctor provides the following for patients ages 15 to 21:
- Annual physical examinations, including height, weight, vitals, update on needed immunizations, etc.
- Sports and school physicals (and required documentation)
- Care for acute illnesses (Strep throat, pneumonia, flu, UTIs, etc.) and injuries
- Coordination of specialty care and therapies (cardiology and physical therapy)
- Chronic health condition management (asthma, allergies, diabetes)
- Wound care for lacerations, rashes, burns, and other skin problems
- Mental health evaluations and customized counseling services
- Boys’ health services
- Gynecology services, including contraception
- STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing
Is There an Adolescent Medicine Provider Near Me?
Yes, there is. At BridgeSpan Medicine, our board-certified pediatricians are committed to delivering the health care that adolescents need–all in an easily accessible, confidential, and compassionate setting. BridgeSpan Medicine is located on Westchester Ave. at Purchase Professional Park. We are open 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, and our doctors practice out of White Plains Hospital.
To schedule a consultation with one of our pediatricians, please call us today at (914) 698-5544. Alternatively, you may request an appointment online.
We look forward to serving your adolescent health care needs.